Cabela’s Security Center
Thank you for visiting the Cabela’s Security Center. You may have been redirected to this page while visiting a login page, My Account, Order History, or while attempting to add a product to the shopping cart. This page provides information on how to resolve issues on your computer to regain access to secure areas of our site.
What is happening?
The Cabela’s website checks guest traffic in real-time for potential threats or attempts to make our website behave in ways it was not intended to, either intentionally or unintentionally. You are seeing one of our security alert messages because your browser is pretending to be Google, Bing, or another known search engine or web crawler.
Each browser, whether you use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge or Internet Explorer has a unique identifier called a User Agent String assigned to it. This tells websites, like Cabela’s, what type of device is accessing our site and what features the browser supports. This allows Cabela’s to show you a version of the website best suited for you.
Your browser, or Internet connection is sending a user agent string normally seen from search engines.
How did this happen?
Your user agent may have changed for a few reasons:
- A browser plugin or development environment
- A virus or Trojan on your computer
- A problem with your Internet Service Provider, Firewall or Proxy Server
Browser Plugin or Development Environment
Many times, web developers or other advanced users will have installed plugins for their browser that allow them to switch their User Agent to simulate and troubleshoot issues with specific browsers, search engines or other web crawlers.
If you have installed a User Agent Switcher plugin, please disable it and then reload Cabelas.ca. If you are unsure if you have one of these plugins installed, follow the steps below.
- Chrome Browser
- Click the Menu Button (Three horizontal lines in the top right corner)
- Choose More Tools
- Click Extensions
- Uncheck “Enabled” beside suspicious plugins. Plugins marked from Google are generally safe and should not be disabled.
- Click the Tools Menu
- Choose Add-ons
- On the left hand side, click on Extensions
- Disable or Remove suspicious Extensions. By default, Firefox does not include Extensions so the list may be empty.
- Click on the Safari or File menu
- Choose Preferences
- Go to the Extensions Tab
- Uncheck “Enable…” or Uninstall suspicious Extensions. By default, Safari does not include extensions so the list may be empty.
- Click the File or Opera menu
- Choose Preferences
- On the left side, click the Puzzle Piece icon (Extensions)
- Click Disable or the “X” in the top right corner of each suspicious extension. By default, Opera does not include extensions, so the list may be empty.
Virus or Trojan
Virus’s and Trojans have the ability to intercept or send web traffic from infected computers. They may do this to hijack a website, steal personal details, or monitor browsing activities for various purposes.
Most computers come with virus scanners pre-installed. It is important to ensure your virus scanner is running regularly with the latest virus definitions. Most Internet Service Providers (ISP)’s in Canada provide virus scanning software to their customers. For more information, please consult your provider:
In Addition, many virus scanners can be found free online, such as:
Please note, Cabela’s does not support or endorse any of the providers or solutions listed above. These lists are provided for informational purposes only. When in doubt, please consult your IT department or a computer technician before installing third party software on your computer.
Internet Service Provider, Firewall or Proxy Server
All computers on the Internet go through one or more devices that can modify Internet traffic for security or analytics purposes. If you have checked for viruses, Trojans and browser plugins and you are still having difficulties accessing our website, please speak to your IT Department at work, or your Internet Service Provider.
If you are still unable to access our website, or have questions as to what is happening, please enter your email address below and a member of our team will contact you.